Department of Engineering
Andrea Marinoni is an associate professor of Applied Remote Sensing with the Earth Observation group, Centre for Integrated Remote Sensing and Forecasting for Arctic Operations (CIRFA), Dept. of Physics and Technology, UiT the Arctic University of Norway, Tromsø, Norway.
He received the B.S., M.Sc. “cum laude” and Ph.D. degrees in Electronic Engineering from the University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy, in 2005, 2007 and 2011, respectively.
From 2013 to 2018, he has been a research fellow at Telecommunications and Remote Sensing Lab., Dept. of Electrical, Computer and Biomedical Engineering, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy. In 2009, he has been a visiting researcher at the Communications Systems Lab., Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of California – Los Angeles (UCLA), Los Angeles, CA, USA.
In 2011, he has been the recipient of the two-year “Applied research grant”, sponsored by the Region of Lombardy, Italy, and STMicroelectronics N.V.. In 2017, he has been the recipient of the INROAD grant, sponsored by University of Pavia and Fondazione Cariplo, Italy, for supporting excellence in design of ERC proposal. In 2018, he has been the recipient of the “Progetto professionalità Ivano Becchi” grant funded by Fondazione Banco del Monte di Lombardia, Italy, and sponsored by University of Pavia, Italy and NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA, for supporting the development of advanced methods of air pollution analysis by remote sensing data investigation. He has been the recipient of Åsgard Research Programme and Åsgard Research+ grants funded by Institut Français de Norvège, Oslo, Norway, in 2019 and 2020, respectively, for supporting the development of scientific collaborations between French and Norwegian research institutes.
From 2015 to 2017 he has been a visiting researcher at Earth and Planetary Image Facility, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Be’er Sheva, Israel; School of Geography and Planning, Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, P.R.C.; School of Computer Science, Fudan University, Shanghai, P.R.C.; Institute of Remote Sensing and Digital Earth, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, P.R.C.; Instituto de Telecomunicações, Instituto Superior Tecnico, Universidade de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal. In 2020 he has been a visiting professor at the University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy. Since Oct. 2020, he is a visiting academic fellow at the Dept. of Engineering, University of Cambridge, UK.
His main research interests are focused on efficient information extraction from multimodal remote sensing, automatic nonlinear signal processing applied to large scale heterogeneous records, Earth observation interpretation and Big Data mining, analysis and management for human-environment interaction assessment.
He is the founder and current chair of the IEEE GRSS Norway chapter. He is an ambassador for IEEE Region 8 Humanitarian activities. He is leader of IEEE GRSS Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society Summer School (GR4S) committee, for the organization of the summer schools organized worldwide by IEEE GRSS. He is a research contact point for the Norwegian Artificial Intelligence Research Consortium (NORA – http://www.nora.ai). He is a topical associate editor for machine learning for IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing. He has served as guest editor for four special issues of IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing on multimodal remote sensing data analysis and sustainable development.
- S. Chlaily, M. Dalla Mura, J. Chanussot, C. Jutten, P. Gamba, A. Marinoni, “Capacity and Limits of Multimodal Remote Sensing: Theoretical Aspects and Automatic Information Theory-Based Image Selection,” IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 2020
- A. Marinoni, G.C. Iannelli, P. Gamba, “An information theory-based scheme for efficient classification of remote sensing data,” IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 55(10):5864-5876, 2017
- Y. Su, J. Li, A. Plaza, A. Marinoni, P. Gamba, S. Chakravortty, “DAEN: Deep autoencoder networks for hyperspectral unmixing,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 57(7):4309-4321, 2019
- A Marinoni, P Gamba, “A Novel Approach for Efficient p-Linear Hyperspectral Unmixing,” IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing 9 (6), 1156-1168, 2015
- A Dagliati, A Marinoni, C Cerra, P Decata, L Chiovato, P Gamba, R. Bellazzi, “Integration of administrative, clinical, and environmental data to support the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus: from satellites to clinical care,” Journal of diabetes science and technology 10 (1), 19-26, 2016.
- S Selvakumaran, C Rossi, A Marinoni, G Webb, J Bennetts, E Barton, C. Middleton, S. Planck, “Combined InSAR and terrestrial structural monitoring of bridges,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 58 (10), 7141-7153, 2020.